Monday, August 4, 2008

Canadian Authors Association conference

Let's get in the Way-Back Machine while I reminisce about CAA's CanWrite! 2008 conference, held in Edmonton last month.

It was the first time I'd been to a CAA event, and I'll be back for more. There were great panels about the state of the writing/publishing/book-selling world and sessions on craft. Ralph Keyes, the author of the brilliant "The Writer's Book of Hope" was the keynote speaker. There were many opportunities to buy books by participating authors. (Too many, in fact. I had to buy a new duffle bag to get all my loot home.)

And then there were the "added extras." An open mic with readers backed up by the Raving Poets Band, a jazz-type ensemble. The music meshed well with the readings; darned impressive considering it was improvised. During the closing breakfast, "Nellie McClung" showed up to describe her shaky start as a author, the type of tale that goes down well with struggling writers. And then there was the young photographer who came in to do publicity photos.

Did I mention the food? University of Alberta Conference Services outdid itself, and I am still working off the poundage gained at the incredible buffet meals.

Everyone was very friendly, so it was a good opportunity for me to meet some new folks - especially those in our neighbouring province of Alberta - and introduce myself to others I have "met" via e-mail.

The organizers did a great job, and I had a great time.

1 comment:

Cheryl Tardif said...

Thanks for commenting on my post about online social networks. I'm glad you made it to the conference, and I sure wish I had had more than 5 minutes. As you can see, I have enough info for a 1-hour session on my own...at least! :)

I really enjoyed the conference and I look forward to more. I'll be presenting at the 2010 conference in BC. :)

For more info on how to use social networks, please read my 5-part article: How Can Authors Use Online Social Networks?.

And be sure to visit my site and sign my guestbook.

All the best, and happy writing!

~Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
author of Whale Song